You guys I'm like really smart now. You don't even know. You could ask me, Kelly what's the biggest company in the world? And I'd be like, "blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah blah." Giving you the exact right answer.


-Kelly Kapoor
The Office


Friday, December 10, 2010

Web 2.0 Rant

   I admit to flinching every time I hear the term "Web 2.0" used. So often it is applied in presentations by salespeople or consultants with the meaning "you should buy what I'm selling because I am a smart person" rather than its objective definition. To see if the term has been applied correctly, I recommend doing the following the next time it is referenced in a presentation:
  1. Raise your hand
  2. Ask the speaker "Is Web 2.0 the one with the blue 'e' ?"
  3. Wait
The speaker will either:

1. Quickly agree with you and move on to another topic
2. Pause for 10-15 seconds while they struggle for a polite way to respond

If this begins to occur regularly, perhaps together we can banish the use of this annoying buzzword.

No comments:

Post a Comment